How to transport a dog to Hong Kong

pet transport dog to hong kong

Contact us about pet transport for flying your dog to Hong Kong

If you are planning to travel with your dog to Hong Kong you need to know the rules and regulations that you need to adhere to. These rules cover vaccinations, microchips, banned breeds and certificates. The rules are set in place to ensure the safety of your dog as well as that of the people and other animals living in Hong Kong. Feel free to contact us if you need any more information on animal transport.

Free Quote Form Phone or Email Us

Age and pregnancy

Dogs travelling to Hong Kong need to be older than 12 weeks or 90 days. Your dog will be allowed to travel if she is not pregnant or less than 4 weeks pregnant.


Your dog must be vaccinated against canine distemper, canine parvovirus and infectious canine hepatitis.Vaccinations have to be performed more than 14 days before departure and less than a year before. A complete verified vaccination certificate needs to accompany your dog with the other required documents.  The certificate should include information pertaining to the vaccine like; vaccine name, batch number, vaccination date and expiry date. It has to be stamped and signed by the administering veterinarian.

Your dog does not need to be vaccinated for rabies before leaving, however when you arrive in Hong Kong, any dog over 5 months of age must be licensed on arrival and this licensing process will include rabies vaccinations in Hong Kong.

Import Permit

If you are taking your dog to Hong Kong from New Zealand you will need to have an import permit.  You can obtain the Import Permit from the Hong Kong Agricultural, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD)of you can get the application form from their website: If your name is the one on the permit, you will need to be present to collect your pet.


When you depart for HongKong your dog needs to be accompanied by a MPI Zoosanity export certificate.When you leave for Hong Kong your dog needs to be accompanied by a MPI Zoosanity export certificate that indicates the species, breed, age, sex, name and microchip number. The certificate also verifies that your dog comes from a rabies free zone, and that your dog has received the proper vaccinations. You will also a need a Vet & Owners Declaration, the Owners Declaration to be completed by the Owner and the Vet Declaration to be completed by a local registered Vet. We will supply the Declaration for this. Another important document is the AWEC (Animal Welfare Export Certificate), All these certificates are issued by certified veterinarians and need to be completed in full, signed and stamped we will arrange this booking for you for the day of departure.Your dog must have lived in New Zealand for 180 days before the date of export.If you have any questions regarding any of the certificates needed for dog transport to Hong Kong you are welcome to contact us and we will gladly assist you.


All dogs entering Hong Kong are required to have an implanted microchip. They prefer AVID encrypted microchips. Unfortunately in New Zealand we have ISO standard microchips dogs that arrive in Hong Kong with an ISO microchip may be re-chipped upon arrival with an AVID chip. The microchip number should be noted on all the certificates and documentation.

Banned breeds

The following dog breeds have been banned from Hong Kong and may not enter: Pitt Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, DogoAregentino, Fila Braziliero or any of their cross breeds. A Staffordshire bull terrier dog will be allowed entry if he is accompanied by statutory declaration attesting to the breed of the dog.

Transporting your dog to Hong Kong

New Zealand air fright regulations require animal transport to be handled and arranged by animal transport companies.  While you are getting ready for your flight we will take care of your dog. He will arrive for check in on time with all the required documents in tow.  You just need to collect your best friend when you arrive in Hong Kong.